Wednesday, August 05, 2009

I wish I had the resources to subscribe to everything I'd like to. If I had, I could read this Wall Street Journal article in its entirety. But while I may have enough bones stashed* to swap for the occasional bowl of beer at Lenny's, I don't have anywhere near enough to toss after every little whim that drifts through the fog between my ears.

Fortunately, I have friends like McBlogger who scurry like autumn squirrels and find other folk who CAN afford to subscribe to whatever they feel the urge to read.

The money quote from Alternet?
Between 1979 and 2006, the inflation-adjusted after-tax income of the richest 1 percent of households increased by 256 percent, compared to 21 percent for families in the middle income quintile.


The one from the WSJ (the little bit I could get to)?
Executives and other highly compensated employees now receive more than one-third of all pay in the U.S., according to a Wall Street Journal analysis of Social Security Administration data -- without counting billions of dollars more in pay that remains off federal radar screens that measure wages and salaries.


The money quote from McBlogger?
As a shareholder who's been bled dry by overpaid and incompetent management teams for years, this came as a huge shock.


If you read McB, you know whether he's being sarcastic or not. Or maybe you can intuit it.

Me? I think I'll curl up on Alpha's bed, bringing my muddy feet and leaving tracks, until the sun comes up and stirs the squirrels. Life is good, as long as you realize how many bones you need doesn't always mesh with how many bones you want.


*I was gonna post a pic of some deer bones spread on a blanket of leaves. But the pic doesn't belong to me: it belongs to Julie Zickefoose, and you can find it here. And that's about as many bones as I ever get piled up at once anymore. I ain't as young as I used to be.


Français/French Deutsch/German Italiano/Italian Português/Portuguese Español/Spanish 日本語/Japanese 한국어/Korean 中文(简体)/Chinese Simplified Tagalog/Filipino
|

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home